Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

THE FRESCOES IN THE CORRIDORS OF ST. ANNE'S CHURCH, Parra, Bardez, Goa

'FRESCOES IN THE CORRIDORS OF TIME'
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH
PARRA, BARDEZ, GOA.

All photos by Tony Fernandes

My first inspiration as a child for art.

As a child growing up I often attended major feasts at this church, walking to the church with my mother from our ward in Guirim at Cumbiem Morod. Also all the more because my aunt and cousins lived in Parra. Among the fond memories of this church that I especially cherish is the feast day of St. Anne, attending the solemn High Mass, and later visiting the traditional fair that was held outside the church compound and then walk to my aunt's house for a delicious banquet for the grand occasion. 


The major feature of this beautiful church, and a very rare one, is the portico of this awesome piece of architectural wonder in an Indo-Portuguese blend. It has an unique facade with steps leading to it from the front. Along with its awesome architectural grandeur, it has some beautiful art - the paintings along the corridors and the frescoes on the ceiling and its gold painted altars. All these have always fascinated me ever since the time I was a child when I also accompanied my aunt and cousins for various feasts and functions that were held at this church. 

In its idyllic setting against a backdrop of the hills behind the church, a beautiful straight road leads to it from Jaknim in Parra with scenic surroundings. Flanked by breath-taking plush green fields in the monsoon season on is a sight to behold. As a child I walked on this road from my house in Guirim, Cumbiem Morod, as a teenager I rode on a bicycle and as a adult on a scooter.

Outdoor masses, Konkani dramas and other special functions are also held in front of the church.

This beautiful stretch of road that leads to the church is one of the most scenic in Parra. As a child I walked on this road from my house in Guirim, Cumbiem Morod, as a teenager on a bicycle and as a adult on a scooter. On my every visit to Goa I simply love to ride on this road and a breath of fresh air amidst the lovely surroundings. 
This regional section of the road forms part of the scenic and winding road passing through from the village of  Guirim at Perxeth Vaddo at the Mapusa-Panjim highway on through Parra Jaknim at the Tintto to St. Anne's Church, Parra Arrady, and onward to the left to Arpora, and right to Anjuna and Siolim for a thrilling ride.

Next to the church is the cemetery with the timeless phrase in Konkani 'Aiz Mhaka, Faleam Tuka' (literally meaning: Today for me, tomorrow for you) inscribed over the arched doorway.

St. Anne's Church, Parra, Bardez, Goa. India.
The Franciscan Rectorate of St. Anne, comprising the villages of Parra, Canca and Verla, was established between 1650 and 1653 and was affiliated to the Parish of Nagoa. This first church of Parra was burnt down by the Marathas in 1683, and was rebuilt in 1688.





2 comments:

sought said...

w7j23y8n43 b9o08l4w28 r2w49b5b55 m3g56g5u33 a8p85u7k89 s8v19x0b67

neytap said...

t4w07s8l75 e5q67k1u52 o0j06i6v07 u7w69h5p33 s2r29p1b26 i1e03z6u47