Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Friday, July 04, 2014

Kanvllea Kiteak Roddtai Darant - A Goan Folk Song



GOA OF THE 1950's

For a few years when I was very young, I lived in Goa with my mother while my father worked in Bombay. I remember my Mum often hummed this beautiful tune under her breath while going about the house doing her daily chores. Brings a tear to my eye.

English translation of the folk song

Kanvllea kiteak roddtai darant

(Translated by Joel D’Souza)

O Crow! Why do you caw at the door?
Someone may shoot you,
If you’ve brought tidings from my husband, Crow dear,
You better fly away.

The crow came in the morning,
He began cawing on the drumstick tree (moringa tree);
While the crow was still cawing
My beloved husband arrived home.

My husband reached home
He kissed me lovingly,
And our heart’s desire
Got quenched eventually.




No comments: