Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Friday, May 01, 2020

Fishing Boat at Baga, Bardez, Goa


Back in the days of my childhood in the 1960’s, Baga, a beach town in state of Goa, India, was one of my favourite places that I visited with my grandma on her annual 8-day sojourn, staying in a rented place near the sea. It lies 2 km north of Calangute, popular with tourists and locals alike with a coastline of pristine golden-brown sands and the meandering and scenic Baga Creek, summed up in the excerpt below from my book ‘GOA - Memories of my Homeland’ (Poems & Stories).

Grandma's annual dip
In the Arabian Seas
For her aging knees
She thought was good indeed;
She took me along on a trip
To a idyllic place called Baga
On the eight o'clock "Carreira".

Dotted along Goa’s scenic beaches, boats fitted with an outrigger was a common sight, but nowadays motorboats are used. Fisher folk live along the coastline and cast their nets on a regular basis. Many families combine their efforts in going out to sea and a whole community helps in pulling in the nets. A familiar sight at times is strolling tourists lending a helping hand. All this and much much more in my new illustrated line-art book with descriptions, namely ‘A Line in Time’.

BAGA BEACH - Line-Art/Water Colours Drawing by Tony Fernandes. Size 12” x 9”.

1 comment: