Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Monday, January 24, 2022

Deck of Cards

Deck of Cards

I had first heard the narration of the 'Deck of Cards' on the Evening Request Program of Radio Ceylon on our neighbour's radio in circa 1957 when I was about 10 years of age in Guirim, Goa. In the following years I also often heard it as I walked home from school or returned home from the playground at twilight time. I believe it was a version by T. Texas Tyler. Every time I heard the narration, it sent a chill down my spine, with the chorus in the background while at the same time being in full admiration of whoever its narrator, composer or writer was. Nevertheless it was a very clever idea, a brilliant and fascinating concept in presenting the Deck of Cards not only as a Bible, but also as an almanac and prayer book. 

Fast forward to the 1980's in Dubai, U.A.E. While I was browsing through CDs in a music shop one weekend, I came upon a version of the 'Deck of Cards' by Max Bygraves, who was an English comedian, singer, actor and variety performer. 

I purchased the CD right away without batting an eyelid and rushed home to listen. It certainly brought back memories of childhood. Here below is a link to the narration of that great story of the 'Deck of Cards' by Max Bygraves. I still treasure the CD and other fabulous songs on it.

I believe it was also a UK No. 13 hit in October 1973 for Max Bygraves the entertainer. The song had reached number 2 for Phil Harris in January 1949. T. Texas Tyler's rendition went to number 2 on the US country chart in 1948. A version by Tex Ritter later in the year reached number 10 on the same chart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YeywG-2lZ8&t=37s



No comments: