Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Coming full circle with music.

FROM FAR CORNERS OF THE GLOBE


Seven years to the day, today, my children presented to my wife and myself, tickets to see and hear Anne Murray at the concert in Toronto on Friday, 25th April, 2008, as a surprise gift in advance for Mother’s Day & Father’s Day   


It was way back in 1970 on a test transmission of an FM station in Dubai, then a sheikhdom in Trucial States of Oman, now known as the United Arab Emirates, where I first heard Anne Murray’s songs on the radio. Her records and cassettes, and later, CDs were available in music shops there.In the 80’s we often watched her shows aired on TV in the U.A.E.

Anne Murray’s hits, 'You Needed Me' and 'Could I have this dance' have been the most popular songs sung at weddings and at dance galas in the U.A.E. where many of my FB have lived and worked for many years.  Her songs were also popular in among the music loving community of Goa, a Portuguese colony for 451 years in India till 1961.

When we immigrated to Canada we brought along with us modest collections of Anne Murray's records, tapes and CD's.
It has been a long musical journey of sorts for us listening to Anne Murray’s beautiful voice - first on the radio, then cassettes and LP's (45 years ago) and later CD's and finally live in concert.
 
My children grew up hearing her songs that I played at home through the years. I was also a DJ playing at weddings, anniversaries, birthdays and first communion parties and 'Blue Bird' was my signature opening number on many occasions. My youngest daughter, Dahlia Fernandes, is a budding singer/song-writer having produced a CD of her own songs. This is a tribute to Anne Murray, appreciation and gratitude for bringing joy in our life through her songs.
 
Tony Fernandes
Author of: GOA – MEMORIES OF MY HOMELAND
(Poems & Short Stories) Published in Canada

No comments: