Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

REMEMBERING PROF. LUCIO RODRIGUES

Prof. Lucio Rodrigues

The great Prof. Lucio with my humble self
PROF LUCIO RODRIGUES
born a century ago (April 15,1915)

 One of the most interesting characters I've met in my life.
It was the summer of 1964 in Goa. After appearing for the Secondary School Certificate Examinations of the Poona Board in Mapsa, I was eagerly waiting for the results that were to appear in Navhind Times on the 28th of May, but unfortunately on the evening of 27th May, sad news came over the radio that Mr. Jawaharlal Nehru had passed away. The S.S.C. E...xams results were not published on the 28th as a mark of respect for the great leader, and postponed for the next day – the 29th of May. In celebration of my passing my SSCE, my elder brother took me to Panjim for lunch, and later went to Prof. Lucio’s house in Panjim, when I had the opportunity of meeting the great man for the first time, nearly 51 years ago. I immediately realised that he was truly a very remarkable, impressive and extraordinary personality that made a profound impact and influence on me. I was 17 years old.
The great personality Prof. Lucio with my humble self.

At that time Prof. Lucio was a lecturer at Elphinstone College near Kala Ghoda in Fort, Bombay. I often visited him at his home in Colaba on my way home from college. In later years Prof. Lucio was the Head of the English Department of Dhempe College of Arts & Science in Panjim. During my holidays to Goa, I often visited him. His study and library was massive. He was constantly busy with Konkani folklore music and literary research. I was astonished the way he played the guitar. Plucking was his forte. He taught me the first guitar chords that I ever knew, and as a good gesture I ruled music notation sheets in return for the great virtuoso on my drafting board. He recorded his songs playing on his Hofner Framus acoustic guitar, and a Framus removable electric guitar pickup. Among his electronic collections were a Grundig radio and a flat-bed 5 inch reel-to-reel Grundig tape-recorder.

I was lucky to have been there to attend his wedding at the Tourist Hotel in Panjim and also having stayed at his house in Anjuna where one evening I had the privilege to join him in singing the Litany along with other people in the village. The news of his premature death came as a shock, and his achievements in a life that was cut short, left an indelible impression. I visited his grave in Bombay in 1974.
Prof. Lucio's grave, Bombay - 1974.

The famous novelist Graham Greene met Prof. Lucio and stayed at his house in Anjuna, Goa.

The soil and soul, the Goan folks, their tales and traditions of Goa lived in the heart of Prof. Lucio Rodrigues – one of the finest, most fascinating and enlightening characters that I have ever met in my life.

A function to pay tribute to him is being held at the Xavier Centre of Historical Research, Porvorim, Bardez, Goa, at 5.30 pm on Wednesday (Apr 15). The function is open to all.