Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Sunday, June 10, 2018

TREKKING THE MONTE DE GUIRIM HILL

The trek route to school
from the village of Cumbiem Morod (in Guirim) 
to Monte de Guirim.

Way back in the late 1950's there were 12 students, from our ward - Cumbiem Morod - in Guirim, who were day-scholars. We walked single-file through other wards and fields all the way to school, trekking up the slope to St. Anthony’s High School every morning. We gathered at the cross-paths in the centre of our village opposite the gleaming white-washed Chapel. The big boys led the way starting. We commenced our walk at 7.30 am sharp and Joseph (Bella's brother) and myself were the last in line. 

Time passed on and soon bigger boys turned into young men who then passed their Matric exams. The young boys took their place to become into big boys in turn. Some bigger boys found jobs as teachers in the School at Monte, some found jobs in nearby towns, some went to Bombay to pursue further education and others went abroad to work. 

Then it was my turn to be a big boy. I was soon the next in line to lead the rest of the smaller boys in the village. I missed the big boys especially Miki, my brother Jack, Cosme, Johnny, the stalwarts of the fifties that led the way through the monsoon season, carrying me over their shoulders while crossing the flooded streams, keeping me close to them when strong gusts of wind threatened to take away our umbrellas, and lending me their helping hand to climb up the steep slopes of Monte. I tried to help and impart the same leadership of my predecessors through the years up to my SSCE. Oh, how I miss those days! Until the next time! Remembering those who formed a part of a long line include Gabru the ace photographer, Felix, Martin, Remedios from neighbouring Canca village and Custodio by classmate from neighbouring Sorvem Vaddo.

Today in sharp contrast, Monte de Guirim School bus picks up and drops students to and from school.