Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Friday, March 07, 2008

Picturesque Aldona and Corjuem

Aldona is a picturesque hilly region and one of the villages nestled among sprawling rice fields and vegetable patches in Bardez district, North Goa, India. This famous church is dedicated to Sao Tome (St. Thomas). It was built in 1596 and is located near the market town high on the Aldona plateau overlooking scenic Corjuem. The parish chapels include the chapel at Carona (Sta. Rita de Cascia), Corjuem Island (Mae de Deus) and one at Quitula. It consists of many 'vadde', including Quitula, Udoim, Coimavaddo, Carona, Santerxette, Naikavaddo, Panarim and Ranoi. Aldona is now connected to Corjuem by a state of the art cable-stayed bridge held by six cables from either direction.


As a child I remember accompanying my grandmother to the village feast and fair on the Aldona side. During my school days we cycled there from Guirim to play football matches. In my working years I visited friends and relatives in Aldona and Corjuem, crossing the creek by ferry many times and occasionally in a canoe. One need not fear of these calm waters, especially with the influence of this imposing church facing the east across the creek, and also with the blessings of its numerous altars dedicated to popular Saints I never doubted about any danger while crossing this beautiful creek, subconsciously sensing the protection and the benevolent gaze of my favourite St. Thomas.


The Archbishop of Goa and Daman, India, Filipe Neri António Sebastião do Rosário Ferrão is from Santerxette, Aldona, Goa, India.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Truly this church is so old and yet very beautiful.As you have written overlooking the church is the ferry which takes u to Corjuem very scenic view.I remember as u come down from the church to go to the ferry is a cememtry,at the entrance is written"AIZ MAKA FALEAUM TUKA" so very true.

Anonymous said...

You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation
but I find this topic to be actually one thing that I believe I would never understand.
It seems too complex and very broad for me. I'm having a look ahead in your subsequent publish, I'll attempt to get the dangle of it!


Also visit my site airplane simulator