Picturesque Goa

Picturesque Goa
NOSTALGIA - Articles,Poems & Photos

TONFERNS CREATIONS

TONFERNS CREATIONS
TONFERNS CREATIONS - Tony's Art & Hobbies

Friday, March 14, 2008

'FAREWELL' - A Tribute to the UAE


'Waltzing with the Cars'
Dubai - U.A.E.
Time Lapse Exposure
Photographed by Tony Fernandes 1996

Far in the distance: the majestic Dubai World Trade Centre.
Left: the Indian High School & India Club.
Right: Al Nasr Club.
Foreground: Vacant lot used as parking space & old go-kart race track.

FAREWELL

A long time ago did I set sail,
While I prayed my venture never to fail,
Boarded a steamer for a distant shore,
Unaware what destiny had for me in store.

On my voyage when I woke up at sunrise,
Saw silhouettes on the horizon
Of many a highrise, was finally let in
For a great surprise, Oh! Skyscrapers! I thought
But they in fact were beautiful wind towers in disguise.

Time here I spent for more than a generation,
Saw the rise of this great nation,
But if I have ever the chance to live again,
Never would refrain to submit another application.

This land I shall always remember,
And wish good times to prevail forever,
For it taught me never to surrender,
To work hard and still think of others who hunger.

Have seen days without the "air-con",
And nights without any 'hotel intercon',
In the twilight trodding home, would wait in earnest
For another day to come, at the break of dawn.

Now that the time has come to depart,
From this wonderful land where I made a start.
Home away from home, 
From my first I've so long been apart,
From my second I will cherish fond memories in my heart.

Memories I will forever cherish,
My host brethren never will I forget,
Their pride and hospitality I will always admire,
And having sighed a modest praise I shall retire.

First published in Gulf News Magazine, 25th October 1996

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dubai is and was the best but bidding farewell was like leaving heaven